Saturday 25 March 2017

Out. Now to continue getting better.

Well big news  - on Thursday I was successful at a position interview process elsewhere in the company. When I go to write my occupation on a form it will no longer be 'engineer' but instead will be 'analyst'.  Still deeply embedded in the STEM industry and with the need to drive with more autonomy, creativity and influence than I ever have before in my working life. It's back to more of the type of work that I was doing before I found myself in that toxic area. But at a much deeper level in a much harder job.

Such a difference in one year. Last year at this time I stayed with a friend in the country. I was trying to work on a side project for a competition for work and having problems focusing. We spent a bit of time talking about work and I realised that I was a bit of a mess. Come June last year, and the very first day of my first secondment out of there and there was just this massive sense of absolute relief. I had not realised how stressed I was in my old toxic area. That was by the end of Monday. I woke up on the Wednesday and thought, I can't go back. But you know, there are lots of nice people there in my old area and the work is very interesting. But off and on over the months I would think about how I had to go back after my secondment. And then there would be periods of massive spikes of depression thinking back over things. And then I worked out that going back and the spikes of depression were connected. So I became resolute about not going back. And then there was a second secondment away from there - and more importantly into a type of work that I had identified I had the skills for and wanted to do in the future, and that I could transition to as a junior role externally.

And now it's a year later and I can really see what a huge mess I must have been a year ago. Lots of people have commented to me how different I seem - a lot less stressed. I am more mentally healthy than I have been for a very long time.

About two years ago at one point I thought I was having a stroke. ECGs in emergency, an MRI, and a couple of appointments with a neurologist - a professor in neurology at a top teaching hospital no less, and no it's just all in my head. The neurologist was bemused that I was so relieved to be told it was just stress that was causing all these real symptoms. But seriously, why didn't I realise then what my job was doing to me and take action? How could I have kept going?

It's so strange. I guess I've had to survive for so long with my depression - CBT and just constant practice of thinking the best of things and consciously looking for good. And then applying that too my work area. Because there is a lot of good. And a lot of bullying and marginalisation behaviour is much better now. I mean, there are still outrageous examples - as per my last manager in that old toxic area prior to my secondment out. During my secondment out I was given the best possible manager back at my home base of my old area who has been amazing even though for all practical things he's not really my manager. There is just so much good in amongst the old area. But for me that door had closed. I had worked out that I could not go back. And finding that Outlook task kind of proved that again. I would constantly say to this wonderful person that it wasn't them and that they were fantastic, and that the new GM bringing in culture change is fantastic, but I am too damaged.

And I am. My lack of confidence applying for this role. Each little thing doing work, stretching out to make decisions that I would be totally responsible for, creating emails and documents, stretching out to ask questions. Being willing to be wrong. Asking for feedback - oh how precious is feedback and this time actually getting feedback. Being told I got the role and almost collapsing. Not wanting to tell anyone as it doesn't seem real. My posts on friends only social media is obscure and leaning back on a thread from days back about the 4th interview - but the friends who followed that have found it and are very happy for me. They've seen the damage over the years. It's been a long time. And they've seen me since I've been out of there.

So now to get over it. I've realised that listening to my friend in my old area saying that I have to get over it while I was there actually wasn't reasonable. The damage was done over a long long time. I was in that old area since 2000 and various incidents also prior that. That's a long, long time. To expect someone to just snap out of it is not realistic. I stayed because I was a little boiled frog. It's going to take me a while to trust again. It's going to take me a while to trust managers again - although I think I'm a naturally trusting person. Except HR. I don't think I'll ever trust HR at our company again but I don't really have to because they don't deal with us so that doesn't matter.  There are little day to day incidents of respect - it almost weirds me out.

I think that how I am going to get over this is producing one piece of work at a time. One document. One workshop. One training session. One repository. They know I'm still learning the technical stuff. They know my approach and my attitude. I delight that every day I'm there I'm learning new stuff. That one of my immediate team members is amazing at this job and I have him to learn off.  And all of this translates to roles I could get outside, away from the old area's type of industry.

Today two later there is a sense of relief and calm and determination. Even if I'm not up for this job I've got a chance. There is so much I can learn here. In fact I am also going to be working with an SME who is at the technology heart of some of my biggest technical dreams. I am nervous I won't be up for this but I'm going to try. See what happens I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment