Thursday 9 March 2017

Shoving women both ends of the pipe doesn't work

Day after IWD.

I am still amazed at how many articles (including a big one that just came out from my work) go on and on and on about more female graduates, more STEM to make more female graduates, more mentoring or whatever for women potentially up the top in management.

So happy to see a book released with a title 'Stop Fixing Women'. Haven't read it but I imagine it says pretty much what a lot of management groups have been saying since 2012 : it's not about fixing stuff for women, it's about fixing poor leadership. Poor diversity is the *result* of poor leadership throughout a company that in turn also obviously relates to poorer financial results. I mean, der.  Poor diversity (and not just women - anyone who is really different) is the *symptom* of poor leadership.

Good leadership means inclusion. It's so simple.

You got poor diversity mate, then it's telling you that somewhere somehow you haven't good as good as leadership as you could have.

The 'leadership' topic is huge. Go forth and conquer. Seriously there are so many tools to fix stuff.

So... why is diversity so horrendously bad?

What about we suggest... you haven't tried? That you don't care? That you don't understand because you haven't tried and you don't care?

Tying it to "financial returns" is the first thing that has FINALLY got your attention. I mean, we're all kind of amused while you muddle around being pompous about it. We'll just like hang 10 here polishing our nails while we wait, trying not to smile. Well smile maybe not as we still have to put up with the bullshit leadership style from the last decade. I mean, decades. Millennia really.

I heard they are getting rid of ranking systems at work so we are no longer going to be ranked against one another in our 'teams'. That's good. I don't like competing with my team members. I really want to collaborate. That's like, inclusion, yo?

No comments:

Post a Comment