Thursday 25 May 2017

Authenticity, engagement and standard setting

The CEO has made a post which is being read by a lot of people as permission to vent.

Lower level people that is.

Upper level people are all 'rah rah yes yes'.

And I suspect middle level people are going to be very silent as they need to do both.  (Although I have noticed a lot of likes...)

To me, it's made me look at the question of enablement again. We have system after system that gets put in place collecting staff ideas and getting very enthusiastic and then nothing happens. And every single system I've seen has this same breaking point : you begin to submit... and you get to this point in the submission process where basically they expect you to do everything, you the submitter.

They expect you to understand the scope of the problem and your solution

They expect you to be able to cost it (get real???)

They expect you to have all the details of the solution.

They even expect you to proof of concept it.

It's this constant push back on the submitter. It's like they don't really want to hear. It's like they really don't want to do anything.

It's like a wall.

Seriously the last time I submitted something if I hadn't had my secondment experience over the previous 3 months I would have had no ability to participate. The process itself has demonstrated this massive disconnect between senior leadership's understanding of staff enablement. We have all these staff who really want to do something but can't do it. And then the upper levels go 'yes we care, tell us your woes' and the cycle starts again. Again and again and again.

Anyway, I posted. I can back up everything I posted.

And it's an interesting problem to think through how, if I were upper levels, would I break this amazingly stupid cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment