Friday 14 October 2016

Dis-solution

I never actually did post my final solution did I? Guess I will post it now although originally I was coming here to post something else so I'll do that next.

My solution to the answer "Would you encourage my daughter to go into STEM?" is yes definitely but she also needs to be trained to recognise bullying, discrimination, marginalisation, victimisation and be given smart social skills with what to do about them. That could be as easy as reading a few story books where the main characters have fully adult social skills in how to deal.  Or practising a few scenarios - maybe even in a computer game? There's an idea.

Everyone is different (obvious statement). Everyone has different things that they care about, that makes them 'alive inside' (obvious statement). And you're like that from a tiny child (obvious statement).

So if an approach to this big, wide world that you start to make your way in involves an 'alive inside' that is from a direction of science and engineering, why should *anyone* take that away from you?

Screw that. Screw them.

It's part of you. Why should you deny and suppress that part of yourself? Be only half alive?

Even if I'm not "THE BEST" at it, it's a part of me. One of the ways I've been undermined that has really hurt is when I make mistakes they have pounced on these to try to show me I shouldn't be there. Or I haven't been immediately good at something. But mistakes and learning is a part of life that never stops. Despite the haters I have to keep trying.

I think it's ridiculous and cruel that girls are being shoved into STEM without being taught skills to cope with the toxic BS that they will bump into.

No comments:

Post a Comment